Applications Support Manager
Pro Insurance has an exciting opportunity for an Applications Support Manager to manage the development, enhancement and support of a broad range of internal and customer facing applications with a global reach. Based in Gloucester, you will lead a small group of developers, DBAs and systems analysts to deliver enhancements to existing applications and the development of brand new applications working within Pro’s own project framework. You will be responsible for day to day management of the function, process and people management, budget management, and the provision of monthly performance reports to the Executive Board. The role reports into the Global IT Manager and through them directly to the Chief Operating Officer so would be part of a small and agile management team. You will come from a software development background with good experience of one or more software development environments and the software development lifecycle, and will have worked within an SME environment.
The role will sit alongside an IT Operations Manager who will be responsible for the delivery of day to day IT operations and full ITIL-based service support.
Skills and Responsibilities
- Management of 70+ different applications / 10+ different technologies.
- Experience of managing bespoke applications we well as off the shelf
- Management of the software development, testing, delivery and support lifecycle across multiple locations, and including outsourced developments where appropriate
- Delivery of software development projects to agreed costs and timescales
- Management of a small team with mixed skills sets across two locations (UK and US)
- Budgetary responsibility for assigned development budgets plus associated sign-off authorities
- Provision of accurate estimates and quotations for the development of new capabilities to support client development projects
- Assignment of limited specialist resources in accordance with changing project priorities
- First point of escalation in the event of slippage in applications development and/or applications support issues
- Evaluation and selection of suppliers and tools to support and improve software development
- Management of ongoing third party vendor relationships within the development environment, including service reviews where appropriate
- Monthly reporting performance against agreed KPIs and project deadlines
- Development and implementation of process improvements to improve service delivery
- Development of talent and building a high performing IT team
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to inspire and motivate IT staff.
Competencies and Qualifications
- Excellent verbal, written and presentational skills
- Detailed experience of managing all aspects of the software lifecycle
- Relationship and influencing skills across business line and functional team managers, and extending up to board level stakeholders
- Experience of Agile and Waterfall methodologies
- Ideally Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information systems, business technology or equivalent
- A membership of professional organisation e.g. CITP, CEng etc. would be attractive
- Knowledge of the commercial insurance market would be advantageous